Tuesday 25 August 2015

Picking a Uni

The website looks good.
The photos look good.
The course sounds good.
Everyone says its good.
And then you go on the open day and its just not for you...

I went on three open days last year and I would strongly encourage you to. You can never really get a feel from the university and the city unless you go and spend time there!



I was dead set on going to Nottingham Trent University until I went on the open day where I felt the course leaded was very un-inspiring. The course was supposed to be one of the best in the country and they defiantly knew it. He knew he didn't really have to try and excite people because they knew the course would be over subscribed whatever they said. I'd pick the halls I was gonna live in and worked out all the money... I'd even chosen the bath mat I was going to have! But it wasn't what I imagined. I'm so glad I went on that open day!



I also went to an open day at the University of the Creative Arts Epsom. This is also a really good graphics course. I liked the little town and that it was only a 30 minute train ride into central London. The course sounded really good and the tutor was really enthusiastic. This ended up being my second choice on UCAS mainly because it would have been such a massive lifestyle change. Moving from Norwich which is about a 4 hour car journey away, leaving my job ect. And the sheer amount of money it would cost me to live in London. I think if I did have to take my second choice I would have gone for it but I would have been terrified! 



Finally we have Norwich University of the Arts! I actually ended up going on two open days here! Just because on the first one they ran out of time and we didn't really get to go on the tour of the campus. (It's only 10 minutes from my home so it was no big deal) They are also one of the top graphic design courses in the country. Design agencies come from all over for the degree show to find new people and new talent. It just seamed right for me to go there. The course leader then sounded really good, and I liked that you could pick a pathway in year two! I would get to keep my job, still live at home and see my family and study all at the same time. Perfect!


All of the uni’s I looked at were city campuses, which was something I wanted. My poor dad drove me all over the country and then I ended up going down the road, oh well! Haha!  


No comments:

Post a Comment